One of the best things about Madrid is its transportation system. To be able to use it, you have to obtain a transport card. There are two types of card, a fast one, which you can get at any vending machine inside Metro, with which you can recharge a single trip or 10 trips that you can use for bus and metro.
And the other is the Tarjeta Abono (monthly card), which will be better for you if you are going to stay in Madrid for a medium or long-term period.
This card gives you access for 30 days to all the transport systems in Madrid, Metro, Light Metro, bus, Renfe Cercanías (regional train) …Depending on the age and the area, you will pay more or less .
TheAbono Joven for people under 26 years , it will have a cost of 20 euros per month .
The Normal Card , for people over 26 years old , costs 54.60 euros per month .
For seniors ( over 65 ) the price drops to 6.30 euros per month .
Obtaining this card is simple, you just have to follow the following steps:
What do you need to bring?
- Application document filled out. Click here for get It.
- Standard passport size photo.
- Identity document and copy.
How to obtain the transport card (abono)?
- Enter the official page of the Public transport .
- Click on “Quiero obetener una Tarjeta Transporte Publico.
- Select your age range.
- Select your type of document and fill in the data, then select “ Request an appointment “.
- After filling in the identification form, you will be given an appointment to come in person on the day you select.
- On the day of your appointment, bring the three required documents and your Transportation Card will be given to you.
¿Which card do I select?
The transportation system in Madrid works by zones: A, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2, (E1, E2, outside the Community of Madrid)
Depending on where you live or are going to live, select the one that suits you better.
* Note : You can also process your card online and it will be delivered to your address after 7 days. Only addresses in Spain are allowed.
With this, we hope that you can begin to move freely around Madrid and begin to enjoy its advantages.
We organize hiking routes every week, all accessible by public transport and we go to the most wonderful places in the entire Community of Madrid and its surroundings. Take a look at our next routes HERE
I need an appointment to get a transportation card for over 65 years old. Please let me know what I need to do.